Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Creating a Culture, How Hard Can It Be?

...Apparently very hard for my brain. I think I'm over thinking things here. But, I guess I'll go with the flow, since I have an idea for at least one culture, the culture of the Uzu Kodama, the tree spirits close to the shores of Kyodomor.

So, maybe you all can help add your favorite type of fantasy/mythological creature to the list of possible maybe's on the possible creatures you'd like to read in OSC.

Also if you have any tips for world building, don't be shy to share! We all love free tips after all!

1 comment:

  1. My tips for world building is to think about how things would be done with the society the way it is in your mind. For example, a cultural element from one of my own stories was a religion that worshiped the sun god as a male entity and the moon goddess as a female entity. What would a culture like that do in their day to day lives differently than us? I came up with the idea that because at the new moon, it is unlit or hidden from view that the women of this religion veil their faces only on that one day. All other days of the month they live normally.

    As you see I merely asked "what if" followed by "then what" to come up with something interesting. I also mixed elements that came from existing earth cultures (sun/moon worship and middle eastern veiling among women) to create something unique.

    Give that a shot, and tell us how it goes. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete

Mira Stone writes under a pen name. If you know her real name, please respect her wishes to keep it private [non compliance to this wish would be considered evil territory -- see below].

Please keep it nice. Positive criticism is welcome...no, needed. But if you stray into evil territory you will be promptly deleted. ^_^ Have a nice day!